This blog's for ME

Almost 25 years old, asking my parents if I can sleep in their bed with them. I had thought I was going to be the 25th Prime Minister of Canada. Things had changed. 10 years later, I was still a scared little boy. The time had come to slap myself awake. One Saturday morning, November 19th, 2009, I declared to the world I would be riding my 10 year-old motorcycle from Vancouver, BC Canada to Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, and back.

The official departure was August 28th, 2010. A group of well-wishers saw me off at 8:03 am.

I arrived in Rio de Janeiro around 6 pm March 1st, 2011.



My return to Vancouver came on July 5th, 2011 about 2:00 pm.

Drug & alcohol abuse, ADD, social anxiety, health, chronic pain, night terrors.

So many concerns. But I am far more interested in this question: Do I have the capacity to make this trip despite all my shortcomings?

My mission: To inspire myself to face my fears, enlighten myself on how all living things can peacefully co-exist, enjoy every moment, and see the world as plentiful and generous.

Go ahead. Call me crazy. Call me anything you like.

I'm out to save my world.



I LOVE YOU ALL



Questions, comments, concerns, threats? Contact me: jason.chapman99@gmail.com


Get Over It, Through It, With It

No matter what you do, or are doing, you can be sure it is a 100% human activity. As teenagers many of us were so concerned about 'weird' behaviours, or 'weird' things going on inside of us; we were so anxious to just be like everyone else and not stand out. As an adult, I have had so many years of 'being different' I've become accustomed to all sorts of behaviours and things that make me go 'hmmmm' about myself. But, as i am human, i am guaranteed that no matter what I do, it is completely human of me.

Of course we would have fears about things. We have the same brains we had 100,000 years ago foraging for food, killing 20 ton wooly mammoths and protecting the family from sabertooth tigers. Our brains are just doing their jobs, and as the brain controls the entire body (our brains are EVERYTHING ;-) it will do just about anything to you to stop a perceived threat, or an uncomfortable situation. It will make your knees go weak, your vision blurry, your heart race, and your speech slurred. It will pump adrenalin into your system such that your hands begin to shake, and all you can think of is "I want to get out of here NOW". The problem is, that after 20 years of seeing Much Music, MTV, movies, news channels, newspapers and magazines, we see all these people who are doing amazing things with their lives, and we want to do that to. We get extremely disappointed and upset when we can't, or when we think we can't. Some of us can't help feeling somewhat inferior to these celebrities.

So, I spent 15 years dealing with the 'fact' that I was uncomfortable selling things to people. If I hadn't accepted that sales job, my life would have looked completely different, and I mean completely. If I had gotten a job with AGT (Telus at the time), which is what I had wanted, that one step in a different direction would have made this life impossible. Not better, just different. That one step in one direction changes what is possible forever. So, there's no need to stress about decisions, because no matter what path you choose, it will be a different path that leads to different experiences. It would be like arguing about which foot you should put on the ground first after getting out of bed. We do have a propensity for magical, premonitional thinking that allows us to imagine spaceships, ghosts, aliens and all sorts of things. But this thinking can drive us crazy if we sick it on what direction we should go in life, especially today when there are so many choices available.

For me, I just spent too much time playing video games, and not enough time dealing with people. Getting hurt, getting angry, fighting, crying, negotiating, having sex, hurting someone........... these are all important social activities that can definitely be stunted in today's technological world. Would you rather get rejected by a pretty girl, or go and play World of Warcraft on the computer and slay dragons without the slightest physical danger?

1 comment:

  1. Jason you have to write a book!!!!
    10:32am
    why?
    10:32am
    i love what you have to say.....
    your blog is great it's like i am sitting there with you and you just talking
    10:33am
    lol you're making me cry!
    that's not very nice
    10:33am
    oh stop it!!!!
    10:33am
    lol.
    10:34am
    i mean it i really love what you have to say
    10:34am
    it's just amazing to hear that one person even if it's one person understands you and appreciates you

    ReplyDelete