This blog's for ME

Almost 25 years old, asking my parents if I can sleep in their bed with them. I had thought I was going to be the 25th Prime Minister of Canada. Things had changed. 10 years later, I was still a scared little boy. The time had come to slap myself awake. One Saturday morning, November 19th, 2009, I declared to the world I would be riding my 10 year-old motorcycle from Vancouver, BC Canada to Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, and back.

The official departure was August 28th, 2010. A group of well-wishers saw me off at 8:03 am.

I arrived in Rio de Janeiro around 6 pm March 1st, 2011.



My return to Vancouver came on July 5th, 2011 about 2:00 pm.

Drug & alcohol abuse, ADD, social anxiety, health, chronic pain, night terrors.

So many concerns. But I am far more interested in this question: Do I have the capacity to make this trip despite all my shortcomings?

My mission: To inspire myself to face my fears, enlighten myself on how all living things can peacefully co-exist, enjoy every moment, and see the world as plentiful and generous.

Go ahead. Call me crazy. Call me anything you like.

I'm out to save my world.



I LOVE YOU ALL



Questions, comments, concerns, threats? Contact me: jason.chapman99@gmail.com


Exodus

After a mass of humanity parked out in the desert for a week, then abruptly left, what remained was a vast emptiness. Our camp had, just 24 hours before, boasted several large tents, two kitchen areas, 25' of astroturf, a bar, and a shower, not to mention several hang-out spots and a hookah-pipe arrangement available in the back of a trailer. Now, it was completely gone. This was the experience I yearned for, to feel completely alone in a hostile environment, and still be 'ok'. Many parts of this journey have challenged my need to be accepted, and feel part of a group. Unfortunately, I feel this natural human need could compromise the entire journey. Although I have, and will assuredly meet many groups and individuals, I must ensure I maintain my goal, and purpose: to put myself into difficult circumstances, enjoy the moment, and find a way out.
"Oh, what's this? Another dust storm?" Danger and I started our vehicles up easily this time. We had to push start my bike the day before, as I had left the lights on. The efforts were that much harder for us, until I turned the ignition to 'on'. He also had to boost his VW van from giving us his lights the night before while packing Anne and Omid's car. Leaving our vehicles here were not an option, as was any other debris or MOOP (matter of of place), so we did a quick walk around of the area. The intention to 'leave no trace' is yet another core value of Burning Man. Generally, people are extremely conscious of what material they bring in, and consequently, bring out. It's challenging, actually. After our entire camp picked up, it seemed as if our camp was certainly left without a trace, but after an in-depth look, a couple large nails, and small pieces of garbage were still there. A horde of volunteers will scour the entire site, in anticipation of the inspector, who takes a random square mile area to check. If he/she sees any foreign objects within that area, the festival will not be allowed to return the next year. Since there are thousands of people who live for this experience year after year, everyone does their best to ensure it's continued operation.

No comments:

Post a Comment