This blog's for ME

Almost 25 years old, asking my parents if I can sleep in their bed with them. I had thought I was going to be the 25th Prime Minister of Canada. Things had changed. 10 years later, I was still a scared little boy. The time had come to slap myself awake. One Saturday morning, November 19th, 2009, I declared to the world I would be riding my 10 year-old motorcycle from Vancouver, BC Canada to Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, and back.

The official departure was August 28th, 2010. A group of well-wishers saw me off at 8:03 am.

I arrived in Rio de Janeiro around 6 pm March 1st, 2011.



My return to Vancouver came on July 5th, 2011 about 2:00 pm.

Drug & alcohol abuse, ADD, social anxiety, health, chronic pain, night terrors.

So many concerns. But I am far more interested in this question: Do I have the capacity to make this trip despite all my shortcomings?

My mission: To inspire myself to face my fears, enlighten myself on how all living things can peacefully co-exist, enjoy every moment, and see the world as plentiful and generous.

Go ahead. Call me crazy. Call me anything you like.

I'm out to save my world.



I LOVE YOU ALL



Questions, comments, concerns, threats? Contact me: jason.chapman99@gmail.com


Burning Man Exhibit C

As is common in most social interactions, there are many opportunities to become confused about one's role in a community, and even hypocritical, given time. I had heard that the founder of Burning Man created the genesis of this event after his girlfriend left him, and the subsequent heart break that ensued. I can only imagine those initial years, ones that were free of governmental restrictions. We can all argue the pros and cons of having several varieties and sizes of governments that rule us, but in those early days, one can assume it did not resemble the Burning Man of today. Today, the Festival has a board of directors, presumably made up of the original group of people who started it, and others who have jumped on board along the way. They have lawyers, full-time staff. This year, they elected to have a coffee shop, selling a variety of cold and hot drinks, as well as selling ice. One of the founding principles of Burning Man is that there be no exchange of monetary funds. These recent developments initially seem to tarnish the mantra out there in the Nevada desert, and left several people I spoke with feeling a bit uneasy. It didn't matter that the money was going to the Gerlach High School. It was just a gnawing feeling that this special place wasn't that special after all. Then, the more ominous thoughts of the impossibility of such a society in the real world, and you start feeling downright depressed. We heard rumours of mafia involvement, even. Being so close to Vegas, and Reno, why not? They can smell money. We met a nice couple who were looking after 28 RV's that they had rented out to festival goers, just going around to each of them for a whole week, and having some fun thrown in there too. At $2 to $5,000 a week, that's a significant chunk of profit margin. Can we ever truly escape it?
I had a friend I met at our grad reunion who said he recalled I was a communist. That was a shock. I used to have a picture of Lenin above my bed, a Red Flag with gold sickle above it, and made up a short-lived moniker of Vladimir. Oh yeah I was a piece of work! It was all a bit of a joke, and a little jab in the side of those things I didn't like about America. They were simply the opposite, I thought, and therefore was something to get behind. I was surprised that people actually took me seriously. I really hadn't a clue as to how a society that I barely recognized could survive, and how they would do it. I did love that there were differences in the world, something to choose from. Doubtless I would have been thrown in jail for any of these suppositions today.
All of these thoughts made me value compromise, and the need for it in any society. Above all, tolerance amongst each other is tantamount to a healthy society and culture. Any government or ideology that actively abetts, or punishes open thought, can only be destined for ruin eventually. There must still be some way of melding, and integrating the best of everything. Is it possible? Can a perfect world really exist? I know that is all anyone who has overthrown a government, suggested, or even forced a new ideology onto their people, simply imagined a better world. Maybe it's even a better world for him to the inclusion of others, but irregardless an improvement for someone. With that comes the eventual negatives, and drawbacks to any society. But every human experience must be molded, and adapted as it rolls along, and provide for that person's needs, whether it be physical or spiritual. As far as societies go, overall, Burning Man did a pretty damn good job.

No comments:

Post a Comment