This blog's for ME

Almost 25 years old, asking my parents if I can sleep in their bed with them. I had thought I was going to be the 25th Prime Minister of Canada. Things had changed. 10 years later, I was still a scared little boy. The time had come to slap myself awake. One Saturday morning, November 19th, 2009, I declared to the world I would be riding my 10 year-old motorcycle from Vancouver, BC Canada to Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, and back.

The official departure was August 28th, 2010. A group of well-wishers saw me off at 8:03 am.

I arrived in Rio de Janeiro around 6 pm March 1st, 2011.



My return to Vancouver came on July 5th, 2011 about 2:00 pm.

Drug & alcohol abuse, ADD, social anxiety, health, chronic pain, night terrors.

So many concerns. But I am far more interested in this question: Do I have the capacity to make this trip despite all my shortcomings?

My mission: To inspire myself to face my fears, enlighten myself on how all living things can peacefully co-exist, enjoy every moment, and see the world as plentiful and generous.

Go ahead. Call me crazy. Call me anything you like.

I'm out to save my world.



I LOVE YOU ALL



Questions, comments, concerns, threats? Contact me: jason.chapman99@gmail.com


Burning Man Exhibit F

Make no doubts about it. If you want to meet new people, go out in the middle of the searing desert, and camp in your tent for a week. As I had only arrived Thursday night, and many of my camp-mates were there since Sunday, I felt it was a wise decision to stay through Monday, and leave bright and early Tuesday morning, just to get a more well-rounded experience to match. This choice paid off in spades, as I got to know a man by the name of Danger (on left), who was camping next to us, Anne and Omid. The playa dust covered us all, especially me since the Burning Man initiation. We were laughing so hard, because it took about 20 minutes for this picture to be. It was an exceptionally cool evening, and I chose to don my leathers for the first time since Thursday night.
Anne and Omid were unable to change their reservation for the hotel that night, so we all worked together into the night pack their car. Pack, push, pull and stuff more accurately. After they left, Danger thought it would be a good idea to jump on the bike with me and roam around. Although this contravened the official BM code of ethics, we somehow justified it. As the camps had dwindled, it would be that much easier to find some action. After climbing up into a wooden loft, and a couple other impromptu gatherings, we came upon the Tuna Camp. There was a smattering of food left for the 40 or so people there; unbeknownst to us, this was the legendary location of the Tuna Boys, who bring in thousands of pounds of sushi grade tuna from Oregon every year, and purposely avoid advertising their location due to unprecedented popularity. Since the food would not be featured on this week's Food Network episode, I feel it would be much more valuable for you to read about Danger.
Danger has been living out of his van for 14 years, and looks like he could be a cop or businessman, eats healthy and looks it. He has chosen this life, and achieves personal growth at a phenomenal pace. The odd stripping gig in Oregon floats the boat, but for the most part, he just makes a go of it by helping others, and an unemployment cheque. He inspired me for the freedom he has achieved, and his attitude on life. Always smiling, often laughing, and open to every experience life has to give him, he is a joy to be around. I asked him once "wouldn't it be easier to just get a job and do whatcha gotta do?" He said "no way man, this is the life for me. I have everything I need, and then some. Whenever I need something, it just shows up. I can't stop now." It begs the question, "what do we really need to live a good life?"

No comments:

Post a Comment