This blog's for ME

Almost 25 years old, asking my parents if I can sleep in their bed with them. I had thought I was going to be the 25th Prime Minister of Canada. Things had changed. 10 years later, I was still a scared little boy. The time had come to slap myself awake. One Saturday morning, November 19th, 2009, I declared to the world I would be riding my 10 year-old motorcycle from Vancouver, BC Canada to Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, and back.

The official departure was August 28th, 2010. A group of well-wishers saw me off at 8:03 am.

I arrived in Rio de Janeiro around 6 pm March 1st, 2011.



My return to Vancouver came on July 5th, 2011 about 2:00 pm.

Drug & alcohol abuse, ADD, social anxiety, health, chronic pain, night terrors.

So many concerns. But I am far more interested in this question: Do I have the capacity to make this trip despite all my shortcomings?

My mission: To inspire myself to face my fears, enlighten myself on how all living things can peacefully co-exist, enjoy every moment, and see the world as plentiful and generous.

Go ahead. Call me crazy. Call me anything you like.

I'm out to save my world.



I LOVE YOU ALL



Questions, comments, concerns, threats? Contact me: jason.chapman99@gmail.com


Don't Lose Your Passport

Somewhere between Reno, NV and Mettler, CA, Jason Chapman's passport ended up, probably the place on the side of the road where I stopped for a break, and had the bike fall over, twice. In an attempt to right the 500 pound vessel myself, the passport must have squeezed out of the pouch around my waist. What would you do if you found yourself suddenly travelling in a foreign country without a passport? Would you have a complete meltdown, sift through every bag and each pocket countless times, or call every single gas station, hotel and restaurant that you stopped at since you last recall having it? Would you endlessly retrace your steps in your mind, and imagine things being different if you had just paid more attention? Well, I engaged in all of these activities, and none of them brought me any closer to having a legal travel document of identity in my possession. Somewhere between Reno, NV and Mettler, CA, Jason Chapman's passport ended up, probably the place on the side of the road where I stopped for a break, and had the bike fall over, twice. The ensuing struggle to right the vessel probably dislodged it from my pouch. This fact created more internal tension the longer I sat and thought about it, so I eventually gave up hope of ever finding my old passport, and began the steps to replace it.
The ubiquity of the internet helped me out substantially. All the required forms are available on Passport Canada's website, as well as a detailed list of items to remember, and things not to do, to avoid any lengthy delays. It is a good idea to stay calm, and read everything thoroughly. If something does not look right to the Passport Canada people, who can be very picky, they will deny your request, and you will be forced to start the procedure all over again. Even if your signature happens to go outside of the white border indicated, your application will be denied. The passport photos, too, must conform to certain restrictions. Passport Canada demand specific dimensions, and quality of the picture itself. Personally, it took me three different photographers. in the L.A. area to get it right. The particular photo to the right was deemed unacceptable, notably for the shadows under the ears, surprisingly not because of the stunned look on my face.
Several other important steps must be taken as well. A form specifically stating that you had lost your passport must be filled out, and a guarantor is required to vouch for your identity, and must have known you for at least 2 years. The local police department must be notified and a report filled out, as passports can be a hot commodity among criminals, who use them for identity theft. It is absolutely necessary to have all of your identification, cards and documents scanned, and stored in your e-mail account, so that you can access them anywhere in the world. If all of your personal items have been stolen, you only need to get to a computer to print them off.
Obviously, the best advice is to make sure you don't lose your passport in the first place. It can easily ruin your entire vacation, especially if you are only gone for a week or two. Missed flights, and being late for work just aren't an option for a busy family who simply tried to get away for a short trip. But, we are human, and things happen. The good news is that you're going to be ok, and by preparing before-hand, as well as following Passport Canada's requirements, you will be on your way with minimal stress and discomfort. Failing that, you can always make the most of it, and enjoy an unplanned extension to your holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment