This blog's for ME

Almost 25 years old, asking my parents if I can sleep in their bed with them. I had thought I was going to be the 25th Prime Minister of Canada. Things had changed. 10 years later, I was still a scared little boy. The time had come to slap myself awake. One Saturday morning, November 19th, 2009, I declared to the world I would be riding my 10 year-old motorcycle from Vancouver, BC Canada to Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, and back.

The official departure was August 28th, 2010. A group of well-wishers saw me off at 8:03 am.

I arrived in Rio de Janeiro around 6 pm March 1st, 2011.



My return to Vancouver came on July 5th, 2011 about 2:00 pm.

Drug & alcohol abuse, ADD, social anxiety, health, chronic pain, night terrors.

So many concerns. But I am far more interested in this question: Do I have the capacity to make this trip despite all my shortcomings?

My mission: To inspire myself to face my fears, enlighten myself on how all living things can peacefully co-exist, enjoy every moment, and see the world as plentiful and generous.

Go ahead. Call me crazy. Call me anything you like.

I'm out to save my world.



I LOVE YOU ALL



Questions, comments, concerns, threats? Contact me: jason.chapman99@gmail.com


Small Town or Big City

As the trend towards urbanization continues to grow around the world, it's fair to say there is a psychological battle around the globe as to the best place to live, work and play. That warfare continues it's neverending blitzkrieg everytime a young man or woman graduates from high school. What will it be - stay in a small town, or move to the big city?
I grew up loving my hometown. It had everything I ever wanted. It didn't matter what Stettler, Alberta had to offer - I had my imagination. With imagination, anything was possible. Growing up on a 1/4 section of land south of town, I was able to play on seemingly endless rows of massive, golden straw bales, catch dainty fairy shrimp in the ponds, or get lost in the bushes for hours. Often I would try to squeeze as many things into my day, and no matter what, I would enjoy it to the fullest. I didn't need any company, but it was nice to know there was someone around.
Walking down the streets would always be an exercise in remembering people's names, and asking about how they're related to whom and such and such. Having several relatives who lived in the area guaranteed meeting someone you knew every single day while shopping for groceries or playing baseball. You never had to lock your door, because everyone knew you, and you knew everyone. Going out to social functions meant meeting up with at least a few people you had known since kindergarten. As we technically lived outside of town, but within the county limits, we were able to still hang out with the farm kids, but go to school with the town kids. It was the best of both worlds, although the bus ride into town was hell on earth when someone decided to pick on you for being a 'town kid'. Ah, the 'good ole days'. Seriously, despite risking misguided sentimentality, growing up in Stettler was amazing. So good in fact, my immediate future choices hinged on staying close enough to visit on weekends.
Weekends turned to months, and months to decades, and I find myself in the metropolis of Vancouver, Canada's 3rd largest city, and arguably the most diverse ethnically, and in lifestyle choices. Opportunities for exciting change, new business and career ventures, and the unknown enticed me through Red Deer, Calgary, and Edmonton, before coming to B.C. almost 8 years ago. Each progressive step, I courageously, yet failingly attempted to maintain my small town attitudes of friendliness to everybody. It always seemed like people just didn't like me or something, but that small town charm won them over everytime and I am so proud to say I have developed lifelong friendships scattered throughout Western Canada. But what is it about Big City folks? It took me up until a few months ago to finally accept what the city dweller attitude about people is - I don't have time to help you so stop bothering me. It's true for the most part, without considering close relationships, that a lot of people have been very put off with my way of being open, inquisitive, and friendly. "What do you want from me?" It must have driven them crazy.
Grow up in a small town, and raise your kids in a small town. The world is a better place for it. Being DINK's (Double Income No Kids), my girlfriend and I can always justify staying near the excitement and constant movement of city life without having to worry about how it will affect our children. Running constantly from work, to dinner, to the gym, to bed only to do it again, can wear the strongest of us out. The only way to survive, is to think about yourself, and how you can get ahead in a hyper-competitive environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment