This blog's for ME

Almost 25 years old, asking my parents if I can sleep in their bed with them. I had thought I was going to be the 25th Prime Minister of Canada. Things had changed. 10 years later, I was still a scared little boy. The time had come to slap myself awake. One Saturday morning, November 19th, 2009, I declared to the world I would be riding my 10 year-old motorcycle from Vancouver, BC Canada to Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, and back.

The official departure was August 28th, 2010. A group of well-wishers saw me off at 8:03 am.

I arrived in Rio de Janeiro around 6 pm March 1st, 2011.



My return to Vancouver came on July 5th, 2011 about 2:00 pm.

Drug & alcohol abuse, ADD, social anxiety, health, chronic pain, night terrors.

So many concerns. But I am far more interested in this question: Do I have the capacity to make this trip despite all my shortcomings?

My mission: To inspire myself to face my fears, enlighten myself on how all living things can peacefully co-exist, enjoy every moment, and see the world as plentiful and generous.

Go ahead. Call me crazy. Call me anything you like.

I'm out to save my world.



I LOVE YOU ALL



Questions, comments, concerns, threats? Contact me: jason.chapman99@gmail.com


Action

My experiences in writing have been filled with ups and downs, and even more questions than I had before. Today I remembered happening onto a paperback at the library, and one I needed to read that day. It was called 'Jimmy Buffett and Philosophy: The Porpoise Driven Life'. Coming out of a day filled with burdens of catastrophe of the earth, seemingly never ending anxiety and nervousness about my place in it, it was a welcome breath of fresh air. It was a philosophy on life, one that cradled notions of fun, excitement, parties and light laughter - and I didn't sense a trickle of guilt.

Jimmy flirted with the idea of being a 'serious writer' - until he witnessed the landslide of careers, money and mental stability that often beset them. Suicide was an all too common result. It got me to thinking - how can we be aware of the ills of the world, and still feel like we can do something about it?

First and foremost, if you're not willing to be in action about it, don't bother. I think something happens to the human psyche when it is left up to it's own ill charms to think, postulate, complain and detest the human condition. If one wants to make a change in the world, they had better be in physical, moving, unadulterated action if they want to stay sane. Is Jimmy Buffett changing the world? Well, I think he is responsible for a hell of a lot less environmental degradation as Big Oil, and a lot less human tragedy than some Governments. And he has fun doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment