This blog's for ME

Almost 25 years old, asking my parents if I can sleep in their bed with them. I had thought I was going to be the 25th Prime Minister of Canada. Things had changed. 10 years later, I was still a scared little boy. The time had come to slap myself awake. One Saturday morning, November 19th, 2009, I declared to the world I would be riding my 10 year-old motorcycle from Vancouver, BC Canada to Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, and back.

The official departure was August 28th, 2010. A group of well-wishers saw me off at 8:03 am.

I arrived in Rio de Janeiro around 6 pm March 1st, 2011.



My return to Vancouver came on July 5th, 2011 about 2:00 pm.

Drug & alcohol abuse, ADD, social anxiety, health, chronic pain, night terrors.

So many concerns. But I am far more interested in this question: Do I have the capacity to make this trip despite all my shortcomings?

My mission: To inspire myself to face my fears, enlighten myself on how all living things can peacefully co-exist, enjoy every moment, and see the world as plentiful and generous.

Go ahead. Call me crazy. Call me anything you like.

I'm out to save my world.



I LOVE YOU ALL



Questions, comments, concerns, threats? Contact me: jason.chapman99@gmail.com


Sisyphus

Walking by the GM Place walkway this morning at 8 am, I see a sign on a post saying "Construction site DO NOT ENTER" with yellow plastic warning tape stretched out on the path. I thought nothing of it, until around 11 am when the Manager from Costco calls me to say 4 people posing as construction workers with yellow hats are rappelling off the sides of my railing above their store, stretching a massive banner decrying their business policies to do with tuna. I went over to see what was going on, and saw the fear in the eyes of the 4 20 something kids as I approached them. I said "you should have a cigarette dangling out of your mouths, it would be more authentic". Still the fear. So, I calmly asked them "How long do you think you'll be here?" and they replied "As long as we can". I told them it was my job to state that this was private property, and that it was also my job to ask them to leave. They thanked me and acknowledged that I did my job. I was happy with that. I didn't force them off the premises, I didn't fight with them, or make them wrong. By 3:00 pm, they were gone, and my window washing company had brought everything down: 3 beautifully painted animals - a turtle, bluefin tuna, and shark, a massive binder, many hooks, karabiners, and brand new rope. Quite a few hours, and dollars spent on this project, and all of it for 6 hours of publicity. It seemed a Sisyphean tragedy to me, and questioned how well my $20 per month was being spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment