This blog's for ME

Almost 25 years old, asking my parents if I can sleep in their bed with them. I had thought I was going to be the 25th Prime Minister of Canada. Things had changed. 10 years later, I was still a scared little boy. The time had come to slap myself awake. One Saturday morning, November 19th, 2009, I declared to the world I would be riding my 10 year-old motorcycle from Vancouver, BC Canada to Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, and back.

The official departure was August 28th, 2010. A group of well-wishers saw me off at 8:03 am.

I arrived in Rio de Janeiro around 6 pm March 1st, 2011.



My return to Vancouver came on July 5th, 2011 about 2:00 pm.

Drug & alcohol abuse, ADD, social anxiety, health, chronic pain, night terrors.

So many concerns. But I am far more interested in this question: Do I have the capacity to make this trip despite all my shortcomings?

My mission: To inspire myself to face my fears, enlighten myself on how all living things can peacefully co-exist, enjoy every moment, and see the world as plentiful and generous.

Go ahead. Call me crazy. Call me anything you like.

I'm out to save my world.



I LOVE YOU ALL



Questions, comments, concerns, threats? Contact me: jason.chapman99@gmail.com


Great day with a final test

We were rollerblading today from Science World to English Bay. On our return, Bonnie stopped to look at a note that had been left under the Burrard Street bridge. A person had jumped, and we found this note. I really felt the writer's hope for humanity, yet unshakeable despair for the loss of a life of someone who gave up. I had renovated an apartment for a sweet couple years ago downtown, and kept in touch with Jane, the on-site supervisor of sorts. The couple ended up breaking up, and the young man took it pretty hard. He also took his last jump into the great unknown from this bridge.

My friend Sayo Nickerson and I have been calling each other at 6 am every work day since March of last year, save for some holidays thrown in there. This day, I kept going after our call, and Bonnie and I took a nice walk through the majestic and other-worldly cherry blossoms that carpeted many of the streets we walked.

I then was at the VGH for my 2 month x-ray of a broken arm - still a big space between the bones, and a milky, ghostly substance surrounding the fracture. The Persian doc assured me no worries for bone density, and that he had seen these fractures at least 10 times before.

A major shift in my life that started with this journey was to call my parents everyday. They were the 2nd and 3rd people I shared my excursion with back on November 22nd, 2009 and I've strived to contact them every day since. It was an impetus to get to know them, to really push past 'how's the weather', and get into really being with each other. My folks are 70 and 71 years old and healthy; I wasn't worried about losing them, but I was worried about not knowing them. If I started, at least I could make some headway in that regard. I would regret not being able to pass on who they were to my children.

One of the biggest concerns about this trip has been how to engineer not only a career change, but create a source of income. Despite not having writing a winning article since Grade 12, the romantic notion of writing of my travels quickly clouded my mind, and I started to put my wishes out there. Steve Jones started it out when he gave me Baila's phone number, an experienced editor. From there, she and I spoke at length, and happened to meet coincidentally at a few other places. In fact, Bonnie had mentioned Baila was more than a bit concerned about her allowing a man into her life who is jumping on a motorcycle to South America in 5 months. Regardless of her concerns, she still had the time to share some most useful hints on how to write, and request a meeting of the minds with the editor type. Keep it brief, don't overcommit, and don't get lazy in your writing, even if it's an email.

So, my first interested party is Mr. Mustafa Eric, editor of my hometown rag, The Stettler Independent. Even if he doesn't go ahead with it, I was grateful for the interest and it was a needed boost on a tough day. I promised to have something written for the end of the week.

Did I mention my roommate Sy gave his notice to move out at the end of the month? I have yet to find a replacement, and I've had over 10 people come and check it out, as well as craigslist ads out for over 3 weeks. Heat across my shoulders, and muscle tension all over - just can't let it stop me. Repost again, and think of other places I can advertise. It's been a good experience, as I've realized I've stopped fighting for things. So, now that the end of the month is 11 days away, I started really promoting the place, and putting an effort into getting the result I want. There is always something worth fighting for.

I took lunch into my own hands, and fried up some tofu in dark soya sauce, veggie sausages, asparagus, brussel sprouts, with some TruBlue juice. Not too bad, and got some major points with the girlfriend for cooking lunch for her. I did get rewarded for my effort!

No comments:

Post a Comment