This blog's for ME

Almost 25 years old, asking my parents if I can sleep in their bed with them. I had thought I was going to be the 25th Prime Minister of Canada. Things had changed. 10 years later, I was still a scared little boy. The time had come to slap myself awake. One Saturday morning, November 19th, 2009, I declared to the world I would be riding my 10 year-old motorcycle from Vancouver, BC Canada to Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, and back.

The official departure was August 28th, 2010. A group of well-wishers saw me off at 8:03 am.

I arrived in Rio de Janeiro around 6 pm March 1st, 2011.



My return to Vancouver came on July 5th, 2011 about 2:00 pm.

Drug & alcohol abuse, ADD, social anxiety, health, chronic pain, night terrors.

So many concerns. But I am far more interested in this question: Do I have the capacity to make this trip despite all my shortcomings?

My mission: To inspire myself to face my fears, enlighten myself on how all living things can peacefully co-exist, enjoy every moment, and see the world as plentiful and generous.

Go ahead. Call me crazy. Call me anything you like.

I'm out to save my world.



I LOVE YOU ALL



Questions, comments, concerns, threats? Contact me: jason.chapman99@gmail.com


Crazy World

An article in the National Post today concerned the 'new diagnosis' of temper tantrums for children, similar to the ADD stamp adopted a few years ago. Basically it is described as a toddler's inability to calm themselves down, and instead have tantrums. Now, I see no problem with busy bodied psychiatrists looking to be the 'next big thing' and add the mental disorder that they discovered into the DSM IV, or the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Volume 4 allpsych.com/disorders/dsm.html

The problem arises now with over zealous parents who, at their child's early age, have a handy dandy label for behaviour that will most certainly lead to medication, behavioural therapy, and a child that by the age of 5 just can't shake this feeling that there is something wrong with them. The only thing wrong with them is they've had their worried parents and medical practitioners fuss over a condition, now conveniently called temper dysregulation disorder with dysphoria. This world is fast becoming so stupid crazy, with millions and millions of people trying to make their mark, trying to be special. It's getting to a point, in some cases, that these diagnoses are leading to further problems. We can't see the implications until 20 or 30 or more years down the road.

So, then when I hold my child upside down when she's having a tantrum, I would be thrown in jail? Our natural abilities to parent would be considered barbaric or primitive?
The humane, and proper way is to medicate them into drugged up little monkeys. Give me a break I am so frustrated right now and disappointed with our collective groupthink on issues that have a lasting impact.

The reality is we are animals. How far do we have to suppress it to try and forget it? Accepting our animalism allows all kinds of freedom in how we act with each other, love each other, protect each other, sustain ourselves. I am not condoning beating on each other like a couple of gorillas, or ripping the flesh out of a running gazelle with bare teeth. Instead, some understanding that a baby comes out of it's mother's womb much the same as it has for hundreds of thousands of years, and to put these robotic, inflexible, textbook labels onto them is, in my most humble opinion, much much more harmful down the road, than good.

Anyways, let's just go watch our Justin Bieber video and forget about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment