This blog's for ME

Almost 25 years old, asking my parents if I can sleep in their bed with them. I had thought I was going to be the 25th Prime Minister of Canada. Things had changed. 10 years later, I was still a scared little boy. The time had come to slap myself awake. One Saturday morning, November 19th, 2009, I declared to the world I would be riding my 10 year-old motorcycle from Vancouver, BC Canada to Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, and back.

The official departure was August 28th, 2010. A group of well-wishers saw me off at 8:03 am.

I arrived in Rio de Janeiro around 6 pm March 1st, 2011.



My return to Vancouver came on July 5th, 2011 about 2:00 pm.

Drug & alcohol abuse, ADD, social anxiety, health, chronic pain, night terrors.

So many concerns. But I am far more interested in this question: Do I have the capacity to make this trip despite all my shortcomings?

My mission: To inspire myself to face my fears, enlighten myself on how all living things can peacefully co-exist, enjoy every moment, and see the world as plentiful and generous.

Go ahead. Call me crazy. Call me anything you like.

I'm out to save my world.



I LOVE YOU ALL



Questions, comments, concerns, threats? Contact me: jason.chapman99@gmail.com


Risk

On a walk through to English Bay this evening to iron out some misunderstandings with Bonnie, we returned to a spot with a circle of large rocks in the ocean. She said "Jump from one rock to the next until you're all the way around the circle." Having not done much in a while that was the least bit physically risky, I had a bit of trepidation. By this time she was saying "No, don't do it. I was just joking. Please don't do it, you'll hurt yourself."

Nonetheless, I jumped onto the first rock thinking I can get at least half way around, but I can still turn around if I want. The rocks were a bit jagged, but I felt I needed to make a point for myself and my confidence, and felt it was a calculated risk. In one sense, the risk would have been simply getting wet, and bruising my pride in the least, and my ankle at the worst. I made it, and felt a peace inside myself. I'm not condoning constantly facing any fear without even enjoying the experience. What I am thinking of is our innate ability as children to conquer so many things without even thinking of fear. As we age, we become more fearful, and as we isolate in our homes, the fears can become even more intense. As humans I believe we need to experience risk, taking a chance, and putting ourselves out there from time to time, and that our bodies and minds need it to stay healthy and happy. Maybe your risk is taking on a project, maybe your risk is talking to a good looking guy, whatever it is, take it.

Currently, the Vancouver Canucks are in danger of dropping out of the playoff race. Yes, I'm disappointed, but I'm still alive, and what are some challenges I can take on in my life that I'm not taking on? I'm thinking that if I'm too wrapped up in a game, and too depressed after, I need to seriously get out and do something scary. Tell an inappropriate joke, make someone laugh, jump over some rocks. Something. Anything.


Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain.
- Mark Twain

2 comments: