This blog's for ME

Almost 25 years old, asking my parents if I can sleep in their bed with them. I had thought I was going to be the 25th Prime Minister of Canada. Things had changed. 10 years later, I was still a scared little boy. The time had come to slap myself awake. One Saturday morning, November 19th, 2009, I declared to the world I would be riding my 10 year-old motorcycle from Vancouver, BC Canada to Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, and back.

The official departure was August 28th, 2010. A group of well-wishers saw me off at 8:03 am.

I arrived in Rio de Janeiro around 6 pm March 1st, 2011.



My return to Vancouver came on July 5th, 2011 about 2:00 pm.

Drug & alcohol abuse, ADD, social anxiety, health, chronic pain, night terrors.

So many concerns. But I am far more interested in this question: Do I have the capacity to make this trip despite all my shortcomings?

My mission: To inspire myself to face my fears, enlighten myself on how all living things can peacefully co-exist, enjoy every moment, and see the world as plentiful and generous.

Go ahead. Call me crazy. Call me anything you like.

I'm out to save my world.



I LOVE YOU ALL



Questions, comments, concerns, threats? Contact me: jason.chapman99@gmail.com


Intelligent Design?

Doing what you love or doing what pays the bills? My neighbour is the breadwinner of a family of 4. She is an artist. Her husband helps out financially, but he also does a fine job raising the kids. It has been so nice to have the energy of children near me again. I was definitely getting tired of having to create that energy myself all the time. The courage to truly do what you love, and put your family's well-being on it - that had to take some courage, and you have to think the pressure is on her sometimes. Just gotta play with that creative energy I would guess, and not put too much pressure on yourself. You see, whether you agree or not, this world is a playground for humans. Even those who have to work their 8 or 10 or 14 hours a day still get to go home and watch tv, make love to their partner, have a nice meal with some wine, and go to sleep. All other animals must be continually thinking about how to get their next meal. Oh, except any animal that has been domesticated by human hands, and that includes everything from some rabbits, to horses, to cats and dogs. Even such animals that have not been domesticated, such as snakes and lizards, can have it pretty easy too, sitting in their cages, or terrariums, waiting for their meal of frozen mice, or pellets.
As humans, we have climbed the evolutionary scale, and have found ourselves at the top of the food chain for several thousands of years. This type of untouchability has never before been witnessed on this earth. I'm sure even the most staunch supporter of intelligent design would argue that t-rex was a farmer and a fisher. No, if they were they wouldn't be able catch anything with those small arms. So, there it is. Our very existence has slipped through the tightest of evolutionary stops and balances that has kept life maintaining itself for millions of years. Whether evolution is the result of an intelligent being or not, the argument is whether an intelligent being saw Plasma TV coming. Further evidence that we are treading on new ground. I often felt fearful of our unimpeded progress as humanity grapples with technology and it's seemingly endless ability to divide itself into ever smaller measurements. Perhaps thinking that some God is out there watching us and punishing us if we go too far takes too much responsibility out of our hands. I don't know if there is a God or not, but my concern is the human desire to give up responsibility when it matters most to things they cannot even see. I watched a 15 year old girl in Skagway, Alaska drop a piece of plastic wrapping on the ground. I ran up to her and said "Oh, excuse me ma'am you dropped this", and she simply replied "Oh, thank you". The basic act was not to embarrass her or make her wrong, but to tell her I wasn't about to accept her throwing something on the ground that was hers to take care of properly. I know, who am I to say it wasn't taken care of properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment