This blog's for ME

Almost 25 years old, asking my parents if I can sleep in their bed with them. I had thought I was going to be the 25th Prime Minister of Canada. Things had changed. 10 years later, I was still a scared little boy. The time had come to slap myself awake. One Saturday morning, November 19th, 2009, I declared to the world I would be riding my 10 year-old motorcycle from Vancouver, BC Canada to Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, and back.

The official departure was August 28th, 2010. A group of well-wishers saw me off at 8:03 am.

I arrived in Rio de Janeiro around 6 pm March 1st, 2011.



My return to Vancouver came on July 5th, 2011 about 2:00 pm.

Drug & alcohol abuse, ADD, social anxiety, health, chronic pain, night terrors.

So many concerns. But I am far more interested in this question: Do I have the capacity to make this trip despite all my shortcomings?

My mission: To inspire myself to face my fears, enlighten myself on how all living things can peacefully co-exist, enjoy every moment, and see the world as plentiful and generous.

Go ahead. Call me crazy. Call me anything you like.

I'm out to save my world.



I LOVE YOU ALL



Questions, comments, concerns, threats? Contact me: jason.chapman99@gmail.com


A Child's Pain

Again, my ego and egg-shell thin confidence allowed me to sweep the sleep talking under the mat. I had either slept alone, or didn't sleep at all around others for 8 months, but mostly the first. In my earlier incarnations, specifically hostelling in Australia 18 years ago, I just ignored the potential social embarrassments the next day after a yell, or scream in the night, dealing with the aftermath. I dramatize for your benefit, but for me, I could just die in my skin.

All of the embarrassing moments of the past came rushing back in a flood of emotions. So, when one of my roommates I hadn't met yet mentioned it this morning, I was aghast, and a bit speechless. He said that the night before, he and his girlfriend thought I was talking to someone on my cellphone in the middle of the night. (I have been known to surprise people with the clarity of my speaking, although it always ends up in very clear nonsense) But when I talked again last night, they realized I was indeed sleep talking. I told him I was embarrassed, and he said "you don't need to worry about this. You cannot control it. Every person should be able to understand that." He gave me some perspective and I started to tear up, as the emotional wall came down.

Only the computer screen saw my tears, confiding in it with a release of pent up embarrassment, and a deep sense of inadequacy melted away, if only for a moment. it is crucial to acknowledge the fragility of being human, thus healing that inner child who doesn't understand, or can't cope. Then, it is time to do what humans do best, and move on from it. Get up, dust off, and get back into life. And next time, tell everyone in the room that you're a sleeptalker.

No comments:

Post a Comment