This blog's for ME

Almost 25 years old, asking my parents if I can sleep in their bed with them. I had thought I was going to be the 25th Prime Minister of Canada. Things had changed. 10 years later, I was still a scared little boy. The time had come to slap myself awake. One Saturday morning, November 19th, 2009, I declared to the world I would be riding my 10 year-old motorcycle from Vancouver, BC Canada to Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, and back.

The official departure was August 28th, 2010. A group of well-wishers saw me off at 8:03 am.

I arrived in Rio de Janeiro around 6 pm March 1st, 2011.



My return to Vancouver came on July 5th, 2011 about 2:00 pm.

Drug & alcohol abuse, ADD, social anxiety, health, chronic pain, night terrors.

So many concerns. But I am far more interested in this question: Do I have the capacity to make this trip despite all my shortcomings?

My mission: To inspire myself to face my fears, enlighten myself on how all living things can peacefully co-exist, enjoy every moment, and see the world as plentiful and generous.

Go ahead. Call me crazy. Call me anything you like.

I'm out to save my world.



I LOVE YOU ALL



Questions, comments, concerns, threats? Contact me: jason.chapman99@gmail.com


Bizz-ay



Two women were sitting at the airport chatting and eating while I was on the computer Saturday night. I plucked the courage to ask them about 'Blue Vinyl', the club I intended to go to. They said it was fine. I forgot to ask them if my footwear would be appropriate, as some places are picky about it. When I did get there, after a quick run to a rare restaurant open here at 11 pm, he indeed said my sandals were not appropriate.

By the time I ran home and got shoes and returned, George Harrison and his cousin were waiting in the line and saw me there. The three of us entered after a $R60 cover charge. I mentioned to the cashier how ridiculous this was, and she laughed. Then it got stranger; once you enter, you go to another cashier, and pick the drinks you would like, up to a value of $30R. Then you get tickets, like a beer garden. Not so strange, but if you ordered a vodka, at $10R you have to spread out one can of sprite for the whole bunch.

Weird night; a couple were near the dance floor with the man's arms around the woman's waist all night - that's all they did. I guess when you have got someone you're into, you don't really need to do much else. Other women were too afraid to dance, and the music was just techno that wasn't really hitting the mark. Headed home at 3.

Up for 930 church service I promised Jordana I would attend. She was waiting at the door giving out pamphlets. As expected, it was evangelical, with a minister who spoke like the leader of the free world for nearly 2 hours straight. The congregation all were speaking to God and raising their hands, intermittently coming to the front to receive special attention. I didn't understand much specifically of what he said, but I surely got his fervour. At the end of the service, Jordana asked me to wait, for what I expected, was a special visit with the pastor. Finally one of his underlings came over and asked me about my trip. He needed to translate with a very dark fellow from Guyana, of whom I could barely understand myself.

Finally he decided he would take his town out to my motorbike and bless it. It involved dabbing olive oil in various places, with a final blessing of the 'team'. I don't believe in God, but if a religion is able to bring people together, and have them be happy and considerate of others, and loving then I'm al for it. Who else in this day and age would take the time out of their day to give you a special blessing before you travel? I didn't have to believe a thing about it, it was really a nice goodbye of them to create for me.

In the afternoon I watched a bit of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, one of the 3 movies I picked up as a pirated copy. Nalmir was racing at the Volta Rapida but I had to be over at Pimentel's house for the coleman lid repair at 4 so I couldn't do both without being late. Pimentel commented that Brazilians rarely make it on time, and will rarely show up if you invite them to a movie or something. I saw how easy it was, and how tempting it was to generalize, and see all Brazilians as hopeless people out of integrity. I know it was just his experience. Well, we played some badminton which was great fun too.

No comments:

Post a Comment