This blog's for ME

Almost 25 years old, asking my parents if I can sleep in their bed with them. I had thought I was going to be the 25th Prime Minister of Canada. Things had changed. 10 years later, I was still a scared little boy. The time had come to slap myself awake. One Saturday morning, November 19th, 2009, I declared to the world I would be riding my 10 year-old motorcycle from Vancouver, BC Canada to Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, and back.

The official departure was August 28th, 2010. A group of well-wishers saw me off at 8:03 am.

I arrived in Rio de Janeiro around 6 pm March 1st, 2011.



My return to Vancouver came on July 5th, 2011 about 2:00 pm.

Drug & alcohol abuse, ADD, social anxiety, health, chronic pain, night terrors.

So many concerns. But I am far more interested in this question: Do I have the capacity to make this trip despite all my shortcomings?

My mission: To inspire myself to face my fears, enlighten myself on how all living things can peacefully co-exist, enjoy every moment, and see the world as plentiful and generous.

Go ahead. Call me crazy. Call me anything you like.

I'm out to save my world.



I LOVE YOU ALL



Questions, comments, concerns, threats? Contact me: jason.chapman99@gmail.com


Bolivar










Unable to reach my friend in Caracas, I was stuck with a dilemma spend time looking for a place to stay, which I said i was going to, and get back out on the road, out on the city which was the choice i ended with. Getting out of the city was a relief, but still sick and tired i couldn´t go any further, about 30 km west of the city and laid down basically in a garbage pile at the end of a row of food patios. I was only going to lay down and collect myself but it was threatening to rain and I just couldn´t stomach it and either could mcdonalds from earlier which i rejected promptly.

The garbage pile was my home until about 5 am the next morning, and I was off making good time despite seeing the same dead dog on the side of the road..... i had went in a circle near Barcelona. the roads were atrocious split personality ok for some time but then horaciously awful. The biggest one was about noon, when the road was quite good for a stretch and then suddenly a 2 metre deep hole, which i hit going fairly fast. That was probably the last of the last for my rear tire, which blew out between el tigre and cuidad de bolivar by shortly after 5 pm. Within 15 minutes I had flagged down a car with two militaria and their boss who decided they would talk to someone at the gas station to return and help. By 10 pm, and putting my thumb out to every vehicle that passed, I set up tent and stayed the night. Fitful sleep but felt safe there on the side of the highway.

Woke up at 5 again and got ready to go to work. By 730 another moto stopped and Maino stayed with me for 2 hours until a tow truck came. The driver and I went into town and dropped off the bike at the motoshop and went for money. 5 banks and 4 hours later we finally found someone, sweet Johanna, who would get me cash. All others said ´no se puede´. I paid him the equivalent of 200 for 120 km round trip and tow. The guys at the motoshop were good, with the owner´s son who spoke some english and another young dude with a trick gun that shocked you after pulling the trigger i enjoyed making him laugh as I got shocked. Met another local celebrity and his two brothers, and they invited me to his show, where he sings traditional venezuelan cowboy songs.

They had gotten a new tire done up at the llantera, and returned about 4 pm and patiently waited as they put it back on. A surprise was to come about 500 for the whole job gringo price. i am glad to be back on the road, and will be leaving for ciudad de guyana, and manaus brazil. i may be out of communication for a few days but i want to be on the road again, and get to a place i can settle down. I don´t have much left in me at this point, but enough to get to brazil, and get those boy scout badges on my coat.

Luckily i had some bananas and oranges out on the road but as of yet haven´t eaten much since yesterday so a slow meal and sleep and planning the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment