This blog's for ME

Almost 25 years old, asking my parents if I can sleep in their bed with them. I had thought I was going to be the 25th Prime Minister of Canada. Things had changed. 10 years later, I was still a scared little boy. The time had come to slap myself awake. One Saturday morning, November 19th, 2009, I declared to the world I would be riding my 10 year-old motorcycle from Vancouver, BC Canada to Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, and back.

The official departure was August 28th, 2010. A group of well-wishers saw me off at 8:03 am.

I arrived in Rio de Janeiro around 6 pm March 1st, 2011.



My return to Vancouver came on July 5th, 2011 about 2:00 pm.

Drug & alcohol abuse, ADD, social anxiety, health, chronic pain, night terrors.

So many concerns. But I am far more interested in this question: Do I have the capacity to make this trip despite all my shortcomings?

My mission: To inspire myself to face my fears, enlighten myself on how all living things can peacefully co-exist, enjoy every moment, and see the world as plentiful and generous.

Go ahead. Call me crazy. Call me anything you like.

I'm out to save my world.



I LOVE YOU ALL



Questions, comments, concerns, threats? Contact me: jason.chapman99@gmail.com


Mexican Advice

My new friends Leo and Betty invited dad and I out to their house today to talk about travelling in Mexico on the motorbike. Not only do they have an amazing house, he has a gorgeous Harley DAvidson, nifty trailer, and a motorhome and trailer to carry them and two quads. They travel down to Arizona, leave the kit, and jump on the bike with the small trailer. He suggested I take a border crossing at Sanoyta, as he likened it to driving through downtown Stettler. My dad thinks I will ignore this advice and go through the borders he said to avoid. We had a wonderful conversation, and it jumpstarted my brain to think of a few things to take care of. They gave me a phone number of 'Mexico Bob' Acosta, from San Xavier Mexico Insurance at 1-888-327-1255. They have an office in Tucson, which is nice to know. They went through Cathy at RBC here in Stettler for travel insurance.
I'm just going to ramble through some of the precautions, and things to think about:

* Don't drink the water except in bottles
* Make sure you've got your shots and malaria pills
* Green Angels travel the Toll roads and will help you if your car breaks down. All you pay is for parts!
* Don't drive at night
* Make sure you deal with insurance companies that are trusted
* Have photocopies of registration, ownership, insurance, passport and driving license
* Take a 1 litre gas can - turns out the gas is in fine shape down there since the government got involved
* Make sure you have a can of the tire repair - you shouldn't even need a spare tire, but I'll bring one anyways.
* Take an anti-histamine with you. Betty told me about how she got bit three times while they were going 100 km/ hr!

Overall, it was very generous of them to spend the time with us. I think it put my mom and dad's mind at ease a bit to know that the Mexicans are some of the friendliest, and helpful on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment