This blog's for ME

Almost 25 years old, asking my parents if I can sleep in their bed with them. I had thought I was going to be the 25th Prime Minister of Canada. Things had changed. 10 years later, I was still a scared little boy. The time had come to slap myself awake. One Saturday morning, November 19th, 2009, I declared to the world I would be riding my 10 year-old motorcycle from Vancouver, BC Canada to Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, and back.

The official departure was August 28th, 2010. A group of well-wishers saw me off at 8:03 am.

I arrived in Rio de Janeiro around 6 pm March 1st, 2011.



My return to Vancouver came on July 5th, 2011 about 2:00 pm.

Drug & alcohol abuse, ADD, social anxiety, health, chronic pain, night terrors.

So many concerns. But I am far more interested in this question: Do I have the capacity to make this trip despite all my shortcomings?

My mission: To inspire myself to face my fears, enlighten myself on how all living things can peacefully co-exist, enjoy every moment, and see the world as plentiful and generous.

Go ahead. Call me crazy. Call me anything you like.

I'm out to save my world.



I LOVE YOU ALL



Questions, comments, concerns, threats? Contact me: jason.chapman99@gmail.com


How long

It took me over a week to get to Mulege, what with the unintended stops at San Quintin and Guerrero Negro. However wonderful the experience I gravely underestimated the driving time of this peninsula. Great for riding motorcycles, but a test of patience for getting where you want to go. The cock fighting farm and Mulege Mission were two necessary stops, but it was nearly 4 pm by the time I left. It was dark by the time I got to Cuidad de Constitucion, but I was determined to continue.

The roads in Mexico, so far, have been excellent. Besides one massively long stretch south of Ensenada, my nightmares of falling into a large washed out pothole have been unfounded. Construction of bridges dot the scene as a means to combat the yearly floods that make the road impassable. Drivers will communicate that the road is clear ahead by turning their left signal light on, and give you right of way to pass them. It was 1030 by the time I reached La Paz thinking I´ve had the most amazing experiences just following what people suggest. I doubted Marty´s hotel option only because La Paz is a big city and I had a feeling I might lose myself this time. Sure enough, my negativity created my fear, but after a hotdog, some friendly people at a store (George, a skater who lived in seattle for 10 years, bought me a chocolate bar) gave me directions to La Oasis. God, it took me forever to find it as there are few signs on the road. Finally I started counting, and asked a taxi driver.

The hotel was clean, and the exterior inviting, warm and full of vegetation. I left the keys in the bike., and bags intact not because it was secure and safe but because I was exhausted. 6 hours on the bike with unbelievable lower back pain were somewhat salved with a warm shower and cushioning on the bed. Land of The Lost seemed an even cheesier movie in Spanish.

No comments:

Post a Comment