This blog's for ME

Almost 25 years old, asking my parents if I can sleep in their bed with them. I had thought I was going to be the 25th Prime Minister of Canada. Things had changed. 10 years later, I was still a scared little boy. The time had come to slap myself awake. One Saturday morning, November 19th, 2009, I declared to the world I would be riding my 10 year-old motorcycle from Vancouver, BC Canada to Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, and back.

The official departure was August 28th, 2010. A group of well-wishers saw me off at 8:03 am.

I arrived in Rio de Janeiro around 6 pm March 1st, 2011.



My return to Vancouver came on July 5th, 2011 about 2:00 pm.

Drug & alcohol abuse, ADD, social anxiety, health, chronic pain, night terrors.

So many concerns. But I am far more interested in this question: Do I have the capacity to make this trip despite all my shortcomings?

My mission: To inspire myself to face my fears, enlighten myself on how all living things can peacefully co-exist, enjoy every moment, and see the world as plentiful and generous.

Go ahead. Call me crazy. Call me anything you like.

I'm out to save my world.



I LOVE YOU ALL



Questions, comments, concerns, threats? Contact me: jason.chapman99@gmail.com


Celebrities and You

Whether you peruse the tabloids at the grocery store check out, watch movies, or go to massive rock concerts, you probably know of a celebrity or two. You may even have a favourite. Did you ever think you might have something in common with one? Talented, rich, beautiful, spoiled; these adjectives may have never been used to describe your disposition, but are often used for celebrities. What about hard-working? The stereotype of gilded spoons and 'diva' demands are commonly held beliefs about famous people, but hard-working is usually lower on the list, and rarely makes the headlines. Maybe it doesn't have the cachet, or perhaps the image of a hard-working actor doesn't sell magazines, but it's a crucial skill in the mind of Mr. Will Smith. The mega-star of 'Independence Day' and 'The Pursuit of Happyness' seems to stay out of the gossip columns, but a recent video on YouTube featuring several interviews from on the red carpet to Charlie Rose's hot seat show a side seldom seen, or talked about, when it comes to celebrities.
Have you ever had to get off the combine you'd been on all night, go straight to work for 10 hours, and do it all over again, for 6 weeks? For some Alberta farmers, that may be the reality required to make ends meet. Do you think the thought ever crosses their mind, "Geez, that rich and famous Will Smith and I are like two peas in a pod!" You may find his attitude on life surprising, and worth a moment to ponder. Here are a few words on hard-work that he shares with his interviewers ina couple clips.
On the difference between talent and skill, Will is clear. "Skill is only developed by hours and hours and hours of beating on your craft." "I've never really viewed myself as particularly talented. Where I excel is ridiculous, sickening, work-ethic. You know, while the other guy is sleeping, I'm working. While the other guys is eating, I'm working." One can surmise from the videos that Mr. Smith has such a strong desire to succeed, that he would be willing to die for it. What would be possible in someone's life if they had this attitude? Although he is talking about his career as a Hollywood actor, his reputation as a solid family man, musician, and friendships may hint that his philosophy bleeds into all aspects of his life.
It's called "Will's Wisdom". A refreshing change from all the celebrity gossip, and a hearty helping of advice for living a life well lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment